Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hell 1

Have seen hell on the earth? I’m in one right now. Well, before that I owe an explanation for my short sabbatical though it was not an intended one. Apart from the doomed internet connection, the year end squirted some distress to us as mum fell sick and an immediate operation was called for. Thank God everything went fine and while my mum was still rejoicing the domestic break ( mums hardly ever get holidays, don’t they?), I took over the domestic duties, and I should say that I’m a domestic goddess in the making. Usually my morning unveils after 8.30 am but since I was taking over my mum’s duties, I had to be awake by 7.30 am which was a mountainous task for me. Cooking, cleaning, nursing etc etc and by 10 pm I would have been drained and that’s it ..call it a day. Now I know why mum retires by 10pm and there was I, ridiculing her sleeping habit. Thank God mum recovered fast and I happily and wearily handed over the domestic throne.

And now I’m back in KL for my studies. This is my final year as a teacher trainee and as I was away in Sydney for past 2 years as a requirement of my course, coming back to the old collage for my final year is not easy. Those days, the first day of school had always been something that I look forward too. I’m a person who goes into deep slumber just at the wink of eyes but eve of the first day of school had always kept me away from sleep. I usually get excited at the thought of schooling, and will be checking out the time every hour. But this time around, on the eve of my college registration day, I had so many gigantic butterflies in my stomach and a big lump in my throat. The very thought of college scared me off because I knew I had to do a lot of adjusting and there are some people in the college administration whom I dread like nothing else in the world. Still, as I have already travelled three quarter of the road, I had to brace myself to complete the impending quarter thorny journey.

And my parents drove me to the college, and the moment I stepped into the hostel room, my whole world collapsed! In fact the room was on a collapsing stage too! I have never seen a room as dirty and as awful as that in my life before. Termites nest along the wall and ceiling, thick layer of dust on the windows which has said bye to sunlight long ago, sticky and broken parquet floor, stench of damp bed…HORRIBLE! HORRIFYING! TO Be Continued!!

3 comments:

Veni said...

Hi Ramyah,

Happy to hear your mum is well now.

Too bad your new semester did not start well as expected but dont worry am sure you will get over the hurdles.

All the best : )

Lancelot said...

Me the first...

Well will pray for your mom's health and its the God's way of teaching you how worth your mom is - hope you will be more compassionate towards her from now on and also a good learning period for you to learn the house chores now its easy to find you a groom (as they say in India)...

About your hostel god bless you - he he he good that you are not my room mate - u wud have jumped out of the building in the very first day :P :P :P

Karthik said...

Pray for your Mom's health.. And R u doing PG in Malaysia aftr UG in AUSTRALIA.. COuldn't gt a clear pic Ramyah!!!