Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Not a melodramatic post


I know i have been sounding melodramatic lately. So this time, when i decided to blog i made a mental promise that it has to be light. Well, despite the hustles , i do get one or few moments of delight be it in school or my surroundings. Currently i'm living in Endau, an area which is notorious for state-exiled criminals. Indians are rare species here and in my 2 months stay i have seen only 4 Indians (all teachers). May be that is the reason for the weird look i have been getting lately. Only two types of Indians are here; either professionals (90% has to be teachers) or criminals. My first week here, i received very cold stare from people for no apparent reason (may be i looked like a criminal too ;p). Then, the following week, people has started smiling and nodding heads and initiating conversations. Now wherever i go, i hear "Hi, cikgu" from kids to aunties. At times, it feels like you are a celebrity. Even, as i stop by after school to get stuffs with my name tag, i hear the whispers "Lau se" (teacher). It feels funny sometimes when i get discount.


On a different note, i am having a lot of lighter moments in my class thanks to the mischievous boys. The other day, i was teaching them a poem and noticed a boy was not paying attention. I called his name and asked him "why were the parents looking for their son" (the answer :because they love him). That particular student was so startled that he answered "because i love you, teacher". The whole class burst into laughter and needless to say i could not help myself but teasing him ever since. The same student was once verbally abusing his friend in my class. When i called him to offer explain, he coolly said "Don't trust him teacher. He is a fire rock". For a moment i was stunned at his linguistic repertoire , thinking i have never encountered the fire-rock phrase in my life. When i asked him what he meant, he said " ala cikgu..batu api la". LOL. Sometimes i just love being with my students despite their mischievousness and laziness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most important information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is really nice