Sunday, July 19, 2009

Conflict..Conflict










Again another post related to teaching experience. Sorry buddies. You have to bear with my mundane teaching experiences for another 2 months. I might start a different blog for that soon. But seriously, I feel like I’m living in a world where weekend flies in seconds. And the teachers bully us, the trainee teachers. We were given too many relief classes, asked to key in marks, and translate Science works from BM to English and when I told her about the reverting to BM policy, she just smiled and said, “Yeah, but it’s better to be prepared”.

On the other hand, the students really see us as the adults whom they can seek help from. I was relieving a Form 3 class the other day and casually started talking to a girl who seemed very much into studies and stuff like that. After few minutes of talking the girl started asking me about the options that she has for her tertiary education. She was like, “Teacher, do you think private university is good? Or do you think government university is better?, Do you think I should take accountancy? Which university is better for accountancy. Which course should I do after SPM?..yadda..yadda..” and I was looking at her , eyeballs out. She is just 15 and she is already thinking about what she is going to do when she is 18 which I think too much for her. But still, I can’t shrug off saying, “Well, before that make sure you pass your PMR and SPM”. So, I gave her some advices instead. She really made me to feel like an adult and I was like “God! I AM giving professional advice to someone. I, the one who can’t even decide on what to eat!”.

Then the next day, I was teaching literature to my Form 4 students and assigned some group works to the girls. One particular group of girls were so engrossed in something else that they were not doing my work. When I reached the group, suddenly one of the girls asked me,

Girl 1 : Teacher can I ask you something?
Me : Yes darling. What do want to ask?
Girl 1 : I don’t know how to ask. (turns to girl 2).. You ask la
Me : What’s wrong girls? Just ask.
Girl 1 : I don’t know how to ask this to a teacher. I hope you are open minded.
Me : ( Oh God! Why isn’t the bell ringing yet.) Yes dear. You can ask me whatever you
want to. I don’t mind.
Girl 1 : Ok teacher…hmm…hmm…What do you think about having relationship during school years?
Me : Hmmm…(What should I say)..Hmmm..it depends…why do you ask?
Girl 2 :Teacher, God has given feelings to fall in love right?
Me : (This is easy)..Yeah certainly. All of us have got feelings.
Girl 1 : But teacher at this age we don’t have the feelings yet right?
Girl 2 : Teacher at this age, we have got a litttttle bit of the feelings right?
Me : (Somebody save meee)..Actually girls, we have the feelings in us all the time. It’s just that it should come out at the right time to the right person. At this age you might feel attraction but you should be very careful with the infatuation.
Girl 1 : Teacher so, love after marriage is the perfect love right?
Me : Oh yeah. That guarantees long term happiness.
Girl 2 : So, teacher is it wrong to fall in love now?
Me : Can’t say that. But you must be very careful with tour feelings as long as it does not hurt you or others. Ok. Girls…anyways are you done with your work?
Girl 1&Girl 2 : He ..he..Not really teacher. But we are meeting up later after school to finish it.
Me : Are you sure. I don’t want you to talk about guys again.
Girl 1 : (with a serious face)..no teacher. Never. This would be my last conversation about guys. Never after this… (the bell rings now :p)

Oh how I enjoy resolving conflicts! Teaching IS fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WRONG QUESTION ASKED AT THE WRONG PERSON..