Saturday, July 11, 2009

Teacher oh teacher


It has been one week since I started my teaching practice and I already have a bag full of dilemmas, stress and gossips. Whoever said teaching is a mundane job? Well, I think it’s extremely stressful and depressing job with loads of fun. Despite this 1 week practice, still at times I feel artificial and out of place in my classroom as I stand in front there putting up the face of an all knowing adult, a responsible one and the one who does not tolerate any nonsense in the classroom. When I look at my students I can see myself sitting among them pulling pranks and cracking jokes. As Venisha says sometimes, I feel like I can go near them, pull out a chair and join in gossiping and ‘pranking’. Though it’s not wrong to do so, one need to establish a sense of authority in the classroom or else the students will be climbing all over your head.

I have always believed that a teacher should foster a positive relationship with the students. But in my case I have 2 extreme of students; one who worships teacher and another who regards teacher as dirt. Teaching smart, rich girls have always been my nightmare and it’s happening right now that I feel like AARGHHH.

One of the classes that I am teaching now is a weak form 4 class. But for me they are angels. I can feel the positive energy flowing whenever I enter the class. The moment you enter the class, they rush out to clean the board for you, compliment your dress, smile at you and participate in the class sans the rightness and the wrongness. And they want to learn so much that they always ask you to teach so many things and willing to learn from their mistakes.

On the other hand, I have another class where the girls (especially one group) who think their too smart to be in the class (and it’s a 4th class). My introductory lesson was a disaster as I found out the girls were complete wannabes who have lost their ground. They were least interested in the lesson and when I asked them to tell me something about them, one said “Actually, I don’t like being scolded” (you should have heard the tone of her, OMG). And they were going gaga over Robert Pattinson and whatnots (and I can feel a generation gap between us and we are ONLY of 6 years difference!). And when by slip of tongue I mispronounced (well, I pronounced it the US way when it’s supposed to be UK), one girl actually giggled out loud and started imitating me which practically made my eye balls come out. Gross. And that too because earlier I had punished the girl for disturbing my class. That very moment I knew I’m in for trouble. And did I tell you my lecturer was sitting at the back of the class observing me? Damn! Darn it! And the first thing she told me was “ Ramyah, watch out with &%%#@ I think she need to know how to respect people. She thinks she is too smart. She will be disruptive to your class”. And I was like “Shit, how many things do I need to concentrate on at a time!”. The next day, the classroom teacher came to me and apologetically started telling me that the class is an extremely notorious class and has a very bad reputation among the teachers and has been pain in the ass for all of them. All she can tell was that “ignore that gang for they are attention seekers and focus on those who really want to learn in the class for they inspire you to teach”. Being a new broom, I wanted to change that and have been trying to make the gang to feel that they are capable of contributing to the class in vain. Imagine them doing their add maths and chemistry graphs while I’m shouting my lungs out trying to teach them. And one girl dared to use my paper ( I spent RM 20 to photocopy them) as a chop board to incise her eraser. WTH! And another one who was so engrossed in talking gave me What! Can’t –you- see- I’m- in- important- business- right- now look when I slapped the desk to get her attention. God! What do I do with such characters? Every time I’m about to enter the class I tell myself “Ramyah you love the girls, Ok. They are a joy to be with” and the moment I enter the class and look at them I’ll be like “shit, of all class why this one? …full with devils”. Practically I can see the devilish horns on their head!

But I have not given up on them yet. I’ll try to make a difference. Even if I fail, what matters is that I have tried and given my best. I’m ready for the third week now!

3 comments:

tulipspeaks said...

looks like u r really having fun there! :)


ammu.

Nithz said...

Hey Ramyah,

I like the part you said "Ramyah you love the girls, Ok. They are a joy to be with"..huhuhu. I truly understand what you are going through altough i am not one(most of my cousins are teachers so they used to talk about it all the time), so i guess you will get used to it & will be able to tackl such issues in the future.

You have choosen to be a teacher, so there you go. Anyway, dont worry & keep focused with your job. Stay cool :)

Ramyah said...

Ammu& Nithz: Thank you so much. I am trying to see and appreciate the fun part pf it. tc