Monday, June 29, 2009

First Day at School


Today was my first day at school… as a teacher. Since the previous night I had been having butterflies fluttering in my stomach. Not only me but whole lot of my teacher trainee friends were having butterflies in their stomach and weak knees. After few years, I think today was the first day that I woke up as early as 5.30 a.m. That itself is a big achievement for me and when a fellow friend commented that it might me my routine once I graduate providing I am given an urban school, I shrunk. Since we had to car pool with some of our friends who are also teaching nearby, we had to leave as early as 6.10 am though the school is only starting at 7.30. And as we guessed, we were there in the school at 6.30 am and not a single soul was there. Nothing could have been better than visiting your first school in sheer darkness. Amazingly, there were some students slowly strolling in with a quizzed look at us. Wonder what was in their little mind. As usual canteen was the first place that we got to know before anything or anyone else.

After some time, we were standing in front of the office to report and we got some more curious glances from teachers as well as the students. The teachers were asking us ‘Trainees?’ just exactly like questioning a wanted criminal. Eventually, after all the quandaries finally we were attended and briefed about the school, buildings, students, teachers and their prides. Gods’ Grace that I got two nice ladies as my co-operating teachers who had ample of advices to be shared. I freaked out the moment they told me that their students are not as good as they pretend to but they have the tendency to test a new teacher’s knowledge and expertise in the subject matter. It was soothing to know that they are going to allow me to observe their classes before start teaching this Friday.

Today I had to relieve a Form 3 Science class and it was not an easy task. The students were chit chatting all the time and controlling them was a tiring task. What was more annoying is that the girls are so addicted to combs and make-ups. Well, girls just being girls. One of the girls, was combing a hair without a mirror for a whole 30 minutes .She stopped for a while sensing my stare and then start continuing it again once I turn my gaze on somebody else. At one point, she was combing her hair so indulgingly that she forgot to notice that I was standing next to her. Then I had to ask her to put down her comb and then she gave a pleading look. I was repeating my instruction again and then finally she put it down. It was so annoying at that moment. But now as I think back, it’s hilarious! I wish I am back in school…as a student again.

4 comments:

tulipspeaks said...

Had fun bullying F3 students eh? hehehe

Have fun and all the best with the new career!


ammu.

vikneswary subramaniam said...

hey girl, what you have gone through is a normal scenario in schools nowadays.Obviously, kids these days are not like us.Hope you will enjoy teaching them.You can do it.Best of luck.

Ramyah said...

Ammu & Viknes: Thanks for ur wishes. May God Bless You.

Jeevan said...

haha... that's fun! i feel a teacher needs more patience to put students on path of listening.

my best wishes to you :)