Friday, November 7, 2008

Are u thinking what i am thinking?


Situation 1: You are in an important meeting where you are expected to give some valuable opinions and points with few others. Each of you is expected to voice out your opinion and you sit there squeezing your brain to come out with one apposite opinion which will make heads turn towards you. And after some intensive thinking something strikes you..something that you think very pertinent for the topic being discussed. You construct your viewpoints and wait for THE moment. And when the right opportunity arrives, you open your mouth and somebody from behind you say out the exact thing that you wanted to say word by word including the key words. Heads do turn but not towards you. How would you feel?

Well, that's exactly what happened to me today. We had two visiting lectures from Malaysia who wanted to know how well we are coping in Australia and our valuable opinions regarding the teaching and learning here in comparison to that of Malaysia. All of us were expected to say something. As someone started rolling the ball, i was preparing my opinion and opened my mouth only to realise that it wasn't my voice! My bestie was saying the exact thing that i wanted to say! I was so dumbstruck that it took me a while to realise that everybody else had said something on their part. And there i was squeezing my already-drained-brain for another point. And the tiny brain didn't let me down again and i got another 'good' point to say aloud and was waiting for THE time again when another friend who was next to me said the exact thing!! What else could i do? I just gave up. I think when i am thinking people can see my ideas in the bubble above my head. For once, i got something good to say and i wasted it by waiting for THE time. And to make things worst, while i was thinking i have escaped the session without giving any opinion and exiting the room, the visiting lecturer so happened to see me (why me..of all 23 people) and asked "you didn't speak, did you". "Why are you asking when you already know that i didn't" Well i couldn't say that aloud, could i. So as usual i gave an imbecilic smile and walked away. I wish i could have sinked through the floor at the moment.

Situation 2 : You badly dread being somewhere and listening to someone but you could not evade it. So you go to the place, sit there and listen. And the person who enjoys his own talk than anything else in the world, talks and talks till he totally forgets that he has been talking beyond time. And you are still there, restless, fidgeting and cursing him. At one time the Bhumadevi in you withdraws and you start making face, discomfort look and occasionally look at your watch whenever the person looks at you. Alas, all in vain...he never gets what you are thinking.

Well, that happened to me too. I had to attend this thesis presentation of a multilingual Canadian guy who just enjoyed talking too much. At one point, nobody was really paying attention but him. But the poor guy didn't realise (or chose not to realise) till the audience one by one started running away..literally. And whenever he looked at me i pretended looking at my watch (yeah..i had a watch) to the extent of lifting my wrist up and looking at the watch. May be the whole class would have noticed except him. But he couldn't care less!

Well, earlier i had a situation where people were reading whatever running across my mind and here was another guy who couldn't understand the most clearest clue of all!! It's just so annoying when people read you when you don't want them to and chose not to read you when u want them to...



P/S- As i'm writing this i am super duper excited that i'm confirmed to go back home in exactly 1 month time. Hurray!!

2 comments:

King said...

On Sit 1 : May be u should so laterally that no one could match ur thoughts! If u had done so, u would deftnly have diff views! :)

On Sit 2: Well whoever has come out of a college would have faced this situation. It happens everywhere, may be u shouldnt be so "Courteous" sitting there.when i was doing my grad, I dint have the guts to come out in such situations but once i was in masters i least bothered abt these fella's! :P

BTW iam a fan of ur hillarious writing!

Ramyah said...

I would have come out of the lecture ( I always do that:p) had it been usual lecture hall.But it was a tiny room where all of us were squeezed to the extent where it's so hard for one to leave the room (and of all day, i was seating somewhere in middle). I think he purposely wanted a tiny room :p

P/S- Thanks for the compliment. I'm just a beginner.