Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Dilemma of saying NO

Exactly! I am a girl who just can't say NO. I wonder if i'm the only person who feels so. Worse still, even during instances where a NO is the best word choice, i tend to say YES. ( I wonder how acute is this Yes-syndrome). The reason is simply silly. I don't want to hurt people..period. However, my tiny brain knows very well, that saying insincere 'yes' is still going to hurt people when the truth is revealed. But i simply can't get myself saying it!It feels so hard, horrible, mean..etc.etc. Yet i do say 'No' during inevitable moments and end up feeling shit about it the whole day though i'm not to be blamed for such situations.

When somebody asks ...
"is this outfit nice for me?" i say "yes" (my mind-voice : you look deformed in this outfit)
" you like this dish right" i say "yes" (mind-voice:I rather fast whole day)
" Can we meet up this weekend?" i say "yes"(mind-voice: you're the last person i wanna meet)
"Did you miss me?" i say "hmmm.. may be a bit" (mind-voice: NOT AT ALL!!)

The list goes on.That's how severe my problem is. The lump felt in the heart when saying no is a torture which torments me endlessly. And so often, i'm caught in awkward situations thanks to my "Yes Syndrome". But i never seem to learn from past mistakes :p

I have just said "No" to someone and the shit feeling is hounding me . When will i learn to speak my mind? When will i learn to say No without feeling guilty..hm..hmm

7 comments:

rienmiel said...

same here...
sometimes I feel like i am hypocrite...
but am i really that type of person...confused!!

Ramyah said...

I think we are selectively hypocrite. Can't blame us. It's the personality:-)

King said...

U no what, saying NO is almost an art in which i have failed miserably! :( thats y i end up doing other ppl's work in office.

Most of us make 1 basic mistake, i.e trying to be gud 2 everyone which we deftly cant! :)

Ramyah said...

King: u too? Glad to know i'm not the only one.

-LyS- said...

u r not alone. haha.

the ting is. we'd rather let our heart suffer rather than saying out wut we want.

myb it could never change.

but depends on the proximity though.the closer, the more honest. ;p

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing just to be good.. don't want to be the girl who says no to everything lol

P.S Thanks for dropping in my blog..keep coming.. and ur a good writer..

Sen said...

@ Ramyah...you are not alone...I suffer from the same syndrome...just cannot say no...and end up taking on more than I can handle and then have to juggle everything...On more than one occasions I have been situations so acute that I was left hoping for divine intervention something on the lines of earthquake or unexpected thunderstorm lasting for a couple of days to wriggle out of the commitments, one of these days I sure will come a cropper :)