Saturday, November 15, 2008

Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna

Warning!!: This post is not a review of the Sharukh Khan starrer Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (never say goodbye).

I hate saying goodbye. I hate pretending not missing someone. I hate pretending missing someone when actually you don't bother about the person. And above all, i don't know how to react when i'm saying goodbye. Am i supposed to hide my feelings and put up a composed look or should i be vocal on my feelings? However, since i'm a very inexpressive and less articulate person when it comes to emotions, i'm often mistaken. That's why i hate saying goodbye. The lump and hollow that inundates you the moment you utter those words are so unbearable. That's why i hate saying goodbye.

Why am i rattling about goodbye? That's because i have just bid farewell to my working place. I have been working as a part-time waitress for almost 18 months in the restaurant and today i have ended my connection with the restaurant, a step towards my preparation of going back to Malaysia for good. That's the place where i felt at home, met people from home country, feasted on Malaysian food and learned new recipes and more importantly earned to support my ever growing love for shopping. I wouldn't say that's the best place to work at but that's the place where i feel some kind of bond which has never let me quit though i badly wanted to. I have had a lot of bad and bitter memories associated with that place but today when i cast my mind back to the old memories of working there, bitter memories seems to be too trivial to be mentioned.

My first day of working is still vivid in my mind. All my life, i have never worked hard and being a teacher student i never thought that i would be working in a restaurant. But i wanted to try.I wanted to meet new people. I wanted to do something which i would never do in Malaysia. But my first day was indeed horrid! I don't know what made me to think that waitresses only serve food and take order. So when i was asked to mop, vacuum the whole restaurant i was petrified! the moment my boss gave me a bucket full of water and asked me to wipe the tables, i felt like crying. I was cursing myself for have chosen to work as waitress and made a vow not to work there anymore. And to my horror, it was super busy on that day and i was the only staff working. When i came back home, and told my housemates about my horror experience, i bet they would have noticed tinge of tears in my eyes. Still the next day, i went to work expecting more challenge and i don't know how i started enjoying the hustle and bustle of the restaurant. And now with a heavy heart i have quitted and have said "goodbye" to my bosses, the staffs and yeah the delicious food. The next time i report for work, i'm going to have 30-40 students in front of me looking at me blankly and again another teary moment will start...

4 comments:

Alagappan said...

telling goodbye to someone you like is really painful... :-(
anyways nice blog... loved reading it... :-)

Karthik said...

Another Good Bye Post!! Bt tellin Good bye s tougher than telling I LOVE YOU.. Bt both convey diff sense!! Good 2 read!! Is the restaurant lik the one n Nalathamayandhi serving Indian dishes??

Ramyah said...

alagappan: thanks :-)

Karthik- this restaurant is not like the Nalathamayanthi one. No thosai man like Madhvan working there or else i would have had a very hard time quitting :p

King said...

Emotional one! :O Seems ur a very touchy person!?

BTW Waitress Down under must have bin very tuf i guess?